The special bench of the Madras high court has lifted the ban on downloading of TikTok Mobile Application from app stores. The court directed TikTok developer ByteDance to regularly monitor and regulate content on the app, and said that failure to do so will attract contempt proceedings and the ban will comeback without any warnings.
On April 3rd, the honourable court issued an interim direction to the state authorities to prohibit downloading of TikTok Mobile Application and using it and also said that medias are prohibited from telecasting the videos made using the app. It was said that TikTok app misleads most of the youngsters in India and even few of them were found dead while dangerously attempting TikTok tasks.
Last week the app was removed from the Google and Apple App Stores, but app continued to work on all previously installed devices. Since then the company had been affected and was facing losses on a daily basis, added Senior counsel representing TikTok. He made submissions on the steps taken to counter the apprehensions raised by the Court following its April 3 ban, and said that following the order, ByteDance acted swiftly and removed obscene content, and would continue its regulatory mechanism.
Senior counsel representing TikTok said that the company had been affected and was facing losses on a daily basis since the ban. He said that following the order of the court, ByteDance acted swiftly and removed obscene content, and would continue its regulatory mechanism.
Since the ban has been lifted, the app should be up on the Google Play Store and the App Store soon (it’s been almost 14 hrs that the court lifted the ban, but the app is still unavailable on Google Play Store). TikTok said that they will introduce age based restrictions and assist-based control over the app in the coming weeks exclusively for India.